Do you know what a sage smudge stick is? If not, you’re in for a treat! A sage smudge stick is an aromatic wand made from dried sage leaves. You can use these sticks to purify the air and release negative energy. This blog post will discuss the benefits of using a sage smudge stick and how to use it for your benefit!
When used correctly, a sage smudge stick can cleanse your energy and help you to feel more positive and peaceful. If you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed out, using a sage smudge stick may be just what you need! The smoke from sage helps remove negative thoughts and attachments while promoting healing and spiritual growth.
One of the benefits of burning sage is Mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of paying attention to the present moment without judgement. When you are mindful, you are more likely to be in the here and now, rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. Mindfulness can be a beneficial skill when it comes to managing stress and anxiety. 
Sage can also help you relax at night if you have trouble sleeping by clearing your head of any thoughts keeping you up. 
Scent therapy. Aromatherapists often recommend burning sage to promote feelings of calm and relaxation. The smoke from sage is said to help clear the mind and create a sense of peace and serenity. In addition, the fragrance of sage can be uplifting and refreshing. If the scent of sage isn’t your thing, you can also incorporate other aromatics into your smudge stick. Lavender, rosemary, cedar, rose, thyme, and yerba santa are great additions to burning sage. Many of these aromatics are known for their therapeutic properties. Research shows that relaxing aromas (such as lavender) can help improve how your body and brain work after a bout of stress. 
Anti-bacterial properties. Sage contains compounds that possess anti-bacterial properties. This property means that sage can use sage to help kill germs and bacteria in the air. For example, if you are struggling with a cold or the flu, burning sage may help to clear the air of any harmful pathogens. [4, 5, 6]
Here are a few tips on how to use a sage smudge stick
Ready to engage in the practice? It’s not a whole world away from the practice of burning incense.
- First, get used to the smell of sage. Some people love it, and some find it a bit overwhelming. Start with a small stick or burn it in an open area where the smoke can dissipate quickly enough.
- Start by finding a safe space where you can relax and won’t be disturbed.
- If possible, it’s best to do this outside. Make sure to light the sage smudge stick away from anything flammable and use a heat-proof bowl.
- Light the end of the smudge stick and allow it to burn for a few seconds. Then, blow out the flame.
- Hold the smudge stick at a safe distance near your body move it in a clockwise motion. Use your other hand to fan the smoke towards yourself as you do this.
- When walking throughout your house to clear your space, start at the front door and work your way back. Allow the smoke to reach every corner of the house using the bowl to catch any ashes.
- When it is all finished, put out the sage smudge stick using your heat-proof bowl. Make sure you don’t leave a burning sage smudge stick unattended.
Give smudge stick a try
If you’re feeling stressed out, anxious, or overwhelmed, give sage smudging a try! It just might become your new favourite way to relax and de-stress.